Houston Office – Landscape Architect/Designer
SWA Group is an internationally-renown landscape architecture, planning and urban design firm. We partner with clients to create vibrant places that are ecologically resilient, aesthetically compelling and socially beneficial.
Our Houston studio is searching for the next generation of talented and enthusiastic design professionals. Our current work is transforming Houston, the country’s 4th largest city, through innovative public, civic and private projects that revitalize open spaces, repurpose infrastructure, reimagine the public realm and reinvent master-planned communities. SWA Houston designers are taking the lead in solving urban problems with national significance such as flooding, density, health and housing challenges for many other cities. Internationally our Houston studio is hard at work creating landscapes that are culturally and ecologically resonant and synthesizing complex systems to create open spaces for new cities or urban precincts.
Houston offers a diverse, affordable, and warm-weather lifestyle. Its eclectic culture, public art scene, gallery spaces, world-class arts, attractions, diverse dining scene and an array of professional sports teams have landed Houston on several “best of” lists.
The SWA Houston studio has immediate openings for entry-level (0-2 years) and mid-level (3-5 years), full-time landscape architects/designers. Applicants should be well rounded and have experience with design, design development, and construction documents. Successful candidates will work in a project team environment during all phases of design, from conceptual design through construction documentation. Candidates should be innovative, have strong ideas, a responsible work ethic and be proficient in hand and digital graphics.
We offer competitive salary depending on experience, excellent benefits including Employee Stock Ownership Program, Profit Sharing, 401K and paid health insurance. SWA is a 100% employee-owned, equal employment opportunity employer.
**Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States without Visa sponsorship.
Apply principles and practices of landscape architectural design and planning to conduct the following tasks under the supervision of project managers and principals:
- Prepare landscape design studies, sketches and conceptual studies using hand drawing and digital media for communication
- Prepare grading plans, planting plans, layout and lighting plans, technical details and specifications
- Prepare design working drawings and construction documents, using digital drawing and drafting tools and equipment including AutoCAD, SketchUp, Rhino and similar software
- Conduct digital modeling and rendering, using AutoCAD, Rhino, SketchUp, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Lumion software
- Compile and analyze data on site conditions, prepare construction site plans and specifications, assist in development of site development plans submitted for development approval in conformance with plans, specifications, and ordinances
- Assist in preparation of proposals, contracts and cost estimates for assigned projects
- Identify and recommend creative solutions to design problems
- Prepare landscape architectural technical reports and memos
- Prepare and make oral presentations
- Interact with clients and consultant teams for project needs
- Maintain records and prepare reports
- Travel to project meetings and job sites as necessary
- Degree in Landscape Architecture from an accredited university
- Proficient in AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, MS Office, and SketchUp
- Additional experience with Rhino, Lumion, Revit and other advanced rendering platforms is highly desirable
- Demonstrate curiosity and development of skill in the design and construction of landscapes
- Demonstrated technical skills, attention to detail and problem solving ability
- Effective time management skills
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills including the ability to interact with peers, clients and sub-consultants in a responsible and professional manner
Qualified candidates are required to submit a letter of interest, resume and digital portfolio (under 10mb) to